Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Beginning a Journey

Today, I have decided to create a blog dedicated to my main passion:  genealogy.  I'm absolutely in love with my family history.  I have been involved in genealogy for a very long time.  I knew about my ancestors thanks to my amazing parents and great aunts who always made sure I never forgot where I came from.  I went on trips with my mother to discover new leads.  My dad has everything saved for his family since they kept up with it for years.  It's something I was immersed in at a very young age.

I personally think my ancestors are the coolest.  I may be biased.  I did at one time think that I knew everything about my family, but boy, was I wrong!  There are so many missing pieces.  Parts of the puzzle were missing or not equalling out with the stories I heard.  I have learned quickly that THAT is why you must cite your sources.  Stories and information can be so misconstrued or incorrect.  Who knew that one of my great grandmothers' name was Zelpha - not Sylvia!  But, as I tried to pick up and do my own research, I was a mess.  I wasn't organized.  I was overwhelmed.  I had no idea what I was doing.

I've learned a bit here and there about how genealogy research is done correctly - but there's a lot to learn.  It's like going to school and figuring out your study habits all over again.  There's different citations to learn.  I think organizing it is probably the hardest part.  So I figured, what the hey, I'll just pretend to start from scratch.  I know I have the documents and photographs and names.  But I need to get it organized appropriately so that I don't go barking up the wrong tree.  I always wanted to blog, but never really figured out what to write about.  Everyone told me to write about something you enjoy.

So here I am.  I'm starting from scratch.  I figured why not share this process with others.  It's crazy confusing - and maybe I can help someone get their stuff organized, or help someone start on their own journey into the past.  If I can start over, surely others can too!  I invite you to join me as I re-learn how to do genealogy the right way - and how to make it fun.  Feel free to comment or email me if you have any questions or concerns.  I'm considering myself a rookie in the appropriate way of managing genealogy, so I may not have the most advanced advice to offer.  But I'll gladly share your questions or concerns with the professionals that I am visiting to help me!

Until next chapter!

No comments:

Post a Comment